Thursday, December 07, 2006

do they ghostride in hanoi?

So thanks to Eric Ambler, I saw this video on YouTube. Innocent enough right? It's a silly video that everyone should watch and enjoy (and if anyone watches Battlestar Galactica [which should be more people than it actually is] they should notice an odd similarity between Nate [in the green jacket on the car] and a certain Chief Tyrol. But I'm not a nerd.)



This may or may not work when this post is redirected to facebook, but it's easy enough to click "view original post."

Anyway. Hilarious video. Hilarious song. I watched over and over and over, giggling with delight every time without fail. But one time when I wasn't doubled over laughing, I noticed the website.

HUGE in Asia

So this goofy, car-dancing, fellow A's fan went to Hanoi?? After college?? That's a helluva long plane ride. But it's true. Nate and two of his friends have relocated to Hanoi, Vietnam to get some valuable life experience, teaching children, learning Vietnamese, and just having an all-around enriching experience. Jealous much? I know I am.

It reminds me of the Invisible Children movement, complete with a founded charity. A couple of guys go to Africa during college for some life experience and end up making a great documentary about child soldiers in Uganda and changing their own lives forever. Highly recommended.

I encourage all of you to read up on their blog (Huge in Asia: The Blog) as well as the video blog posted above. This is how life after college should be for everyone. Time to take off in a jet, go anywhere in the world with a couple of good friends, and just fucking scrap to make it. Just fucking LIVE man. I know it's corny, but for fuck's sake who doesn't want to do this?

I know I do. I've dreamt of a glorious college graduation ceremony and a quick CUT TO: me with a full beard slashing my way into frame through some tough vines with a fucking machete. Then maybe a montage of me interacting with some natives in their tongue, making a lean-to in some inclement weather. Finally I return home, burlier, scruffier, and, overall, a better person for going out and doing something, helping somebody.

Yeah yeah, I know, Indiana Jones romantic. And yeah yeah, I can help people here. But with a newfound respect for genealogy and heritage, I want to go see some things I haven't seen before, connect with some roots I didn't know I had. Sure I'm fucking white, but goddamn if I can't just fucking land wherever the fuck I want. If Dempsey can go to Ireland, why can't I? If Charles can backpack through Europe, why can't I?

I had considered a while ago studying abroad in New Zealand for a semester, which I had scrapped due to the seemingly good idea of declaring a minor. But minors are for people that have life goals that don't depend on entertaining the masses. I don't need a minor. I need life experience.

I guess the only question left to ask is, who's coming with me?

1 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger The Red Thunder said...

The video...awesome.

Unfortunately, as with most of our friends, should I dare to spend my life living on the edge, exploring the jungles of Oompa Loompa land, living off the land, and what not, I'll find myself a fugitive to the law. That's right...student loans. I know exactly what you're talking about, but it may be too late.

I can only hope to invent the next best thing and get rich quick so as to have the leisure-ability to change the world, not behind bars or declaring bankruptcy.

It's our parents fault. Who said college was all that anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home